I don’t believe in New Years Resolutions. We all have too many important things going on in our lives to make a handful more important just because it’s January. So (and I admit somewhat tongue in cheek) I list my top 10 things that need to start, stop or change in 2010. Enjoy
1. Stop poking me. Using Facebook doesn’t make it OK, I will unfriend you. If you poke me in real life I will respond physically.
2. The word ‘unique’ can’t have scale. Unique means ‘one of a kind’ so stop saying ‘very unique’ or ‘somewhat unique’. It’s unique or it’s not.
3. If you get an email and it has other’s cc’d please reply to all. It saves me from having to forward your comments.
4. The inventors of CD and DVD wrapping should be hunted down and prosecuted for crimes against humanity.
5. If you win the World Series or Super Bowl stop calling yourself a “World” champion. I’m a huge Yankees fan but when a team from New York beats a team from Philadelphia they are domestic champions. And adding the Toronto Blue Jays doesn’t change a thing.
6. The number pads on telephones and computers should have the same layout and not be opposites (Apple would never have allowed this):
Which leads me to my next request:
7. Companies should stop using letters to represent their telephone numbers, numbers alone work perfectly well. Have you seen the blackberry keyboard?
Did you notice the letter/number combo doesn’t match a regular telephone? Try calling 1 800 MATTRESS (leave off the last ‘s’ for savings… ) from your mobile (it’s not just the Blackberry). The truth is few people can remember more than two letter based telephone numbers so they are a total waste of time. (Go on, how many can you name?)
8. Ban voice recognition software. For the 97% of the world that doesn’t have an American accent (like me) the answer to “Did I get that correct?” is always “No!”
9. When leaving a message on someone’s voicemail start with:
People don’t want to listen through your five minute message multiple times to get to your telephone number.
10. “Winningest” isn’t a word. Any dictionary that says it is should be banned.
Phew! I feel better now What would you like to see this year?